- Accessibility help
- Text size:
Tackling underperformance: A guide for school leaders
- Publication date:
- Sep 2004
- 0758 2004G
- Deputy headteacher, Headteacher, School leader, Strategy manager
- Guidance, Leadership, School improvement, Local authority leadership, Preventing underachievement
This publication is available as a PDF file (1.2 MB).
Tackling underperformance is a significant aspect of securing whole-school improvement. This guide is aimed at head teachers and school leaders to help them develop a whole-school approach to tackling underperformance. It sets out a systematic approach to tackling underperformance using the 'review, plan, implement, monitor and evaluate' approach described in the DfES cycle of improvement.
The commitment and energy of senior leaders is vital if underperformance is to be tackled and improvements secured and embedded in the work of the school. Subject leaders, year leaders and inclusion managers also need work with their teams to ensure that the improvements are sustained within subject areas and that the overview of the impact on pupils is developed.
This guide sets out tasks for leaders so that they can develop and implement a strategic approach to tackling underperformance in progressive stages.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- Briefing for SIPs: Advanced Skills Teachers (ASTs)
- Briefing for SIPs: Connexions
- Briefing for SIPs: Global Gateway
- Briefing for SIPs: Leading Edge Partnership programme (LEPP)
- Briefing for SIPs: National PSHE CPD programme
- Briefing for SIPs: Parental involvement in children's education
- Briefing for SIPs: School self-evaluation
- Briefing for SIPs: The September Guarantee
- Key Stage 3 National Strategy, Designing the Key Stage 3 curriculum
- Key Stage 3 National Strategy 200405
- Raising standards in middle schools
- School Improvement Partner reports - Advice and guidance on the writing and quality assurance of School Improvement Partner reports
- Sustaining improvement: A suite of modules on coaching, running networks and building capacity
- Tackling underperformance: A guide for school leaders
- The role of a School Improvement Partner (SIP) for a special school
- Twelve outstanding schools: Excelling against the odds An Ofsted report
- A condensed Key Stage 3: Designing a flexible curriculum update
- LEA/School Support Contracts
- New Arrivals Excellence Programme (NAEP): Case studies (DVD and booklet)
- Quality standards and criteria for local authority self-evaluation
- Raising Attainment Plan (RAP) Management Guide: Supplement
- Tracking for success