- Accessibility help
- Text size:
New Arrivals Excellence Programme (NAEP): Case studies (DVD and booklet)
- Publication date:
- Oct 2007
- EMA consultant, EMA manager, Headteacher, Inclusion staff, Strategy manager, Teacher, Teaching assistant
- Ethnic minority achievement, Guidance, Preventing underachievement, Teaching and learning
- Booklet, Case study, CD/DVD
This publication is available as a PDF file (509 KB).
The New Arrivals Excellence Programme DVD offers guidance for the induction and integration of newly arrived pupils who are learning English as an additional language. It also aims to support the development of capacity in LAs and schools.
The DVD comes with a booklet of case studies (available for download from this page) provide examples of how six schools in different contexts have developed a range of provision to support newly arrived pupils and their families.
A short written case study for each school is provided in the booklet and each school is featured separately within the DVD (available for order) in sequences of no more than 30 minutes. Choose the case studies most applicable to your circumstances then select them from the main menu on the DVD.
The six case studies cover:
- A holistic approach to meeting the needs of new arrivals: many languages, many cultures, one community.
- Partnership work to meet the language and learning needs of new arrivals and their families.
- Supporting isolated bilingual learners: whole-school inclusion for new arrivals and their families.
- Induction programme for Key Stage 3 new arrivals.
- English language and literacy in the Curriculum (a course for students in Key Stages 4 and 5).
- Supporting isolated bilingual learners within the curriculum: one school’s response to Polish new arrivals.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- Aiming high: Partnerships between schools and TESS in raising the achievement of Gypsy Traveller pupils
- Black Achievement Territorial Network event February 2010
- Briefing for SIPs: Aiming High strategy
- Building Futures: Developing trust A focus on provision for children from Gypsy, Roma and Traveller backgrounds in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Building Futures: Developing trust GRT EYFS guided resource
- Every Child Matters prompts for 2007/08
- Making an impact on Black children's achievement
- Minority Ethnic Achievement Project newsletter: Spring 2006
- Moving forward together: Raising Gypsy, Roma and Traveller achievement
- New Arrivals Excellence Programme (NAEP): Case studies (DVD and booklet)
- New Arrivals Excellence Programme: CPD Modules
- New Arrivals Excellence Programme: Case study booklet
- Raising Black childrens achievement e-learning modules
- Raising the attainment of Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Somali and Turkish heritage pupils: CPD modules
- Raising the attainment of Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Somali and Turkish heritage pupils: Guidance booklet
- SEAL development group 2007/2008
- Ethnic Minority Achievement Programme newsletter: Autumn 2009
- Excellence and Enjoyment: Learning and teaching for Black children in the primary years
- Gifted and talented Black pupils achievement: Continuing professional development (CPD) module and briefing pack
- Narrowing the Gaps: Resources to support the achievement of Black and minority ethnic, disadvantaged and gifted and talented pupils
- New Arrivals Excellence Programme: Guidance
- Raising the achievement of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupils