- Accessibility help
- Text size:
The Early Years Foundation Stage: Setting the Standards for Learning, Development and Care for children from birth to five - May 2008
- Publication date:
- May 2008
- Early years foundation stage practitioner, Early years leader
- Guidance, Training materials
- Card, CD/DVD, Pack, Poster
This publication is available in a ZIP file (4.9 MB). (The contents of this zip file can be downloaded from the attachments area to the right.)
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is a comprehensive framework which sets the standards for learning, development and care of children from birth to five. The EYFS builds on and and has now replaced the existing statutory Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage, the non-statutory Birth to Three Matters framework, and the regulatory frameworks in the National Standards for Under 8s Day Care and Childminding. All registered early years providers and are required to use the EYFS as of September 2008. This pack replaces 00012-2007PCK-EN.
This document sets out all the legal requirements of the EYFS relating to Learning, Development and Welfare. It includes detailed information on providers’ obligations under the framework.
This document contains essential advice and guidance for all practitioners working with children from birth to five. It includes detailed information on the six areas of Learning and Development and supporting children from birth through various stages of maturity and development.
Principles into Practice cards
These cards expand upon the areas listed on the poster. They demonstrate how the EYFS can help children to reach their full potential and contain examples of best practice within each individual area. There are 24 cards.
This poster sets out the four overarching Principles of the EYFS, together with the various areas which each Principle covers. This poster can be used as a daily reminder of children’s needs and how to give each child a fulfilling and challenging experience within the EYFS.
The CD-ROM incorporates all of the above, as well as further examples of practice and links to other resources.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- About the Themes and Principles
- A guide to accessing, understanding, interrogating and using Early Years' data
- Building Futures: Believing in children A focus on provision for Black children in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Building Futures: Developing trust A focus on provision for children from Gypsy, Roma and Traveller backgrounds in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Building Futures: Developing trust GRT EYFS guided resource
- Challenging practice to further improve learning, playing and interacting in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Children thinking mathematically: PSRN essential knowledge for Early Years practitioners
- EYFS Media and Parents Pack
- Early Years: Working with parents and carers e-learning course
- Early Years Quality Improvement Support Programme (EYQISP)
- Early Years consultant's handbook
- Every Child a Talker: Guidance for Consultants and Early Language Lead Practitioners (Third instalment)
- Improving quality and raising standards in the Early Years: A directory of resources for local authorities (2nd edition January 2009)
- Registration and inspection
- The Early Years Foundation Stage
- The Early Years Foundation Stage: Setting the Standards for Learning, Development and Care for children from birth to five - May 2008
- 3.4 The Wider Context
- 4.1 Play and Exploration
- 4.2 Active Learning
- About the EYFS
- Inclusion Development Programme Supporting children with speech, language and communication needs: Guidance for practitioners in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Seamless transitions: Supporting continuity in young children's learning