- Accessibility help
- Text size:
Science intervention materials
- Publication date:
- Sep 2001
- Lead intervention teacher, National Strategies consultant, National Strategies line manager, Teacher
- Continuing professional development (CPD), Guidance, Training, Intervention, Teaching and learning
- CD/DVD, Pack, Teaching notes
This publication is available as a PDF file (1015 KB).
To make progress from level 4 to level 5, pupils need to increase and deepen their science skills, knowledge and understanding from concrete science (i.e. science which can be physically experienced) to that which is more abstract. Talking about what they know and understand to their teacher and in discussion with other pupils will help them to formalise their thinking.
The intervention activities are designed to promote discussion. Teachers may look for written outcomes to confirm learning, but discussion is an important element.
This pack provides a range of activities, many of which are very short, which are best tackled by pupils working in pairs or threes to decide appropriate responses between themselves. Teachers can use whole-class or larger group discussion to allow pupils to further consider their ideas and for the teacher to correct any lingering misunderstandings through questioning or allowing other pupils to question the basis for any incorrect or inaccurate conclusions.
The materials are provided on a CD-ROM for teachers to print and use as appropriate. The CD-ROM also includes blank templates for loops and the other activities, which teachers may use to construct their own materials. The folder is a useful place to store intervention materials from any source, including those produced in the future by the Key Stage 3 National Strategy.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- Accessing National Curriculum science for pupils with SEN
- Achieving sustainable improvement in secondary schools
- Foundation subjects case studies
- Intervention Strategy for Key Stage 3
- Introducing curricular targets and reviewing action points: Resource pack for tutors
- Leading professional learning through children's learning
- Moving forward with teaching scientific enquiry and intervention: CD-ROM
- Preparing teachers new to Year 9 core subjects and ICT
- Progression Guidance Professional Development Course
- Promoting inclusion and tackling underperformance: Ensuring the attainment of Black Caribbean boys Key messages
- Sample teaching units for science - SEN
- Science: Government Strategy and what school improvement partners (SIPs) should look for
- Science intervention materials
- Science intervention materials
- Strengthening teaching and learning of interdependence: Resource pack for participants
- The behaviour and attendance action plan toolkit unit 1: Leadership and management
- Disability equality in action examples of good practice in schools
- Enhancing teaching and learning in secondary science DVD-ROM
- Science: Strengthening teaching and learning of interdependence
- Strengthening teaching and learning of energy in Key Stage 3 science: Additional Support Pack
- Strengthening teaching and learning of geological changes in Key Stage 3 science
- Writing Challenge - Course tutor's notes