The National Challenge: Core Plus mathematics
- 1 The National Challenge: Core Plus mathematics
- 2 Element 1a: Leading improvements and raising standards in mathematics through senior and subject leader partnership
- 3 Element 1b: Leading improvement and raising standards in the mathematics department for pivotal pupils in Year 11
- 4 Element 2: Planning for progression in mathematics - Raising expectations by developing sequences of learning in Years 10 and 11
- 5 Element 3: Improving mathematics subject pedagogy and the climate for learning
- 6 Element 4: Tracking pupils’ progress using Assessing Pupils’ Progress and the underpinning principles of Assessment for Learning
- 7 Element 5: Intervention and personalisation in mathematics
- 8 Element 6: Securing consistent pupil performance across core subjects and developing Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS) in mathematics
Element 2: Planning for progression in mathematics - Raising expectations by developing sequences of learning in Years 10 and 11
This element provides support for teachers in planning units of work for Year 10 and 11 mathematics classes to strengthen progression through:
- identification of strategically chosen clusters of objectives to help pupils make progress towards identified curricular targets
- an emphasis on selected teaching and learning approaches designed around rich tasks so that pupils are engaged in their learning and make more progress
- guidance on how to gather day-to-day evidence of pupils’ progress so that ongoing assessment is strengthened.
The materials include strategies to improve the scheme of work unit by unit as the department works on a tightly focused cycle of plan-teach review. It includes clear leadership actions to accelerate improvements and gather evidence of impact.