About the Themes and Principles
The EYFS is based around four themes:
- A Unique Child.
- Positive Relationships.
- Enabling Environments.
- Learning and Development.
Each theme is linked to an important Principle:
A Unique Child
- Every child is a competent learner from birth who can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person.
- The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children's development and learning.
Learning and Development
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates and all areas of Learning and Development are equally important and inter-connected.
The Early Years Foundation Stage pack, available from the Related links section of this page, includes the Statutory Framework, the Practice Guidance, the Early Years Foundation Stage poster and the Principle into Practice Cards.