- Accessibility help
- Text size:
AfL with APP: developing collaborative school-based approaches
- Publication date:
- Sep 2009
- Deputy headteacher, Headteacher, National Strategies consultant, Subject leader, Teacher
- Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP), Assessment for Learning, Leadership, Learning partnerships, The Assessment for Learning strategy
- Booklet, Key resource
This publication is available as a PDF file (627 KB).
Schools are now taking forward Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP) as a continuing priority to personalise learning for all pupils across all phases, plan for progression and overcome barriers. This document brings together a range of key published materials for the first time. It provides quality standards to enable schools to evaluate the progress they have made together and plan further development, offers information on arrangements for school to school support and a summary of collaborative approaches such as lesson study.
For many schools, development of Assessment for Learning (AfL) with APP now depends on the emergence and sharing of excellent school-based work to generate sustainable improvement. This publication is consequently of particular relevance to headteachers, senior management teams and subject leaders/curriculum coordinators as they plan and develop effective partnerships for APP.
This document is intended to help senior leaders by:
- drawing together the information and guidance relating to developing AfL with APP in the context of implementing The AfL Strategy
- considering how a lead school/department model of support can be developed as part of, and integral to, existing support networks and support for AfL
- considering how school self-evaluation can support the development of AfL with APP and, in particular, how using the AfL Quality Standards can help with this
- describing the nature of support that lead schools/departments might offer and how, as part of a blended approach, this can contribute to other support available
- looking at how schools might gain most benefit from collaborative working and accessing external support to sustain progress
- providing examples of successful partnerships, networking and use of external support for senior leaders to consider.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- AfL with APP: developing collaborative school-based approaches
- Assessment for Learning (AfL): Whole-school training materials
- Disability equality in action examples of good practice in schools
- Exemplification to support use of the Assessment for Learning (AfL) quality standards (Primary)
- Guidance for School Improvement Partners: Supporting and challenging improvement in AfL with APP
- Strengthening transfers and transition: Partnerships for progress
- Understanding progress: Engaging parents and pupils