Holding middle leaders to account
Find timings, objectives, resources and an activity to support Quality Standards (a) and (b), which relate to the role of line management in improved data analysis, pupil tracking and intervention, and Quality Standards (g) and (h), which relate to the Venn analysis tool and benchmarking data.
45 minutes (with an optional session of three hours specifically for improved understanding of RAISEonline).
- To enable all managers to be able to use a common framework of questions related to performance data during a line management accountability conversation.
You can carry out this activity with the senior leadership team (SLT) or a selected group of staff who hold line management responsibility.
You may need the following resources:
- DDLSL RAISEonline: an essential tool for school improvement – Delegate's handbook (Secondary).
- RAISEonline for secondary e-learning course module.
- Activity (45 mins)
Share with participants that senior leaders can use line management meetings to discuss with subject and year leaders how they are analysing data and using it to inform teaching and learning. Senior leaders can use the prompt questions provided in Questions and prompts on standards to help them develop an agenda for these meetings.
Individually or in pairs go through the table of questions and prompts in 'Appendix 1: Questions to consider when analysing data' of DDLSL RAISEonline: an essential tool for school improvement – Delegate's handbook (Secondary).
Answer the following questions.
- Is this information available in school?
- Is it available to all staff?
- Do you as the manager have the required skill to understand and interpret the data?
Consider one school leader you line manage, and with them in mind carry out the following exercise.
- Is the information available for them to answer the questions?
- Do they have the skill to understand and correctly interpret the data?
If the answer to any of the questions is 'no', discuss and agree what actions need to be taken to:
- make the data fully available
- provide the support and professional development necessary to help leaders to do their job.
If the answers were 'yes' then the following can be expected.
- The middle leader should have prepared answers to these questions prior to the meeting.
- Evidence will have come from both internal and external data but a good source of information will be found on the interactive reports from RAISEonline.
- Plenary (10 mins)
Agree actions to implement the standard question set or a modified version if suitable at future line management meetings. Agree on support and training required for school leaders.
- what is needed by whom
- who will provide it
- how and when this will be delivered.
- Optional activity: RAISEonline (3 hrs)
Where self-assessment has identified a lack of understanding or skill in the use and interpretation of data in RAISEonline reports for your line managers, you can use the RAISEonline Handbook for Secondary Schools to improve practice in this area. If this is a particular weakness for a number of staff, consider engaging a specialist consultant or adviser to help deliver this activity.
The RAISEonline for secondary e-learning course module can also be used for self-study on using RAISEonline data for self-evaluation if needed.