Planning for progression
Find timings, objectives, resources and three activities to support Quality Standard (f), which relates to the planning cycle.
- To make sure there is close, targeted and frequent scrutiny of teachers' planning.
You will need the following resources. Download the relevant files or gather the information from your own records.
- Departmental plans (long-, medium- and short-term).
- School guidance on planning.
- The school's lesson plan template.
- Self-assessment tool for lesson planning (DOC-31 KB) Attachments .
- Modern Foreign Languages Framework: Annotated lesson plan (PDF-53 KB) Attachments .
- Principles for long-, medium- and short-term lesson planning (PDF-44 KB) Attachments .
You can carry out the following session with the senior leadership team (SLT) alone or with a wider group of staff.
- Activity 1 (30 mins)
This activity may be completed individually or in groups.
- Read the lesson plans for one subject department or faculty.
- Using the Self-assessment tool for lesson planning make a judgement against each of the Quality Standards.
- Consider whether the plans meet the Quality Standards. Where they do not, what action needs to be taken at department and individual teacher level?
- Consider line management arrangements for the teachers and the subject leader. How can these strengthen the quality of planning and subsequent quality of teaching and learning?
- Activity 2 (15 mins)
- Compare the Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) Framework: Annotated lesson plan handout with your own standard lesson plan.
- Does your format allow you to address the issues with the Quality Standards identified in Activity 1?
- Activity 3 (30 mins)
Use the advice in the Principles for long-, medium- and short-term lesson planning handout to support this activity.
Look at current school planning and note how the department takes account of the:
- need for progression in learning
- level of demand
- skills through a unit of work, a year and a key stage.
Is there sufficient challenge present to achieve whole-school targets?
- Plenary (15 mins)
Emphasise that with the removal of Key Stage 3 testing, accuracy of teacher assessment and planning for progression is vital.
Agree what steps the leadership team can now take to help middle leaders improve their planning to reduce in-school variation.