Unit 2: Extending narrative
You can use this unit summary, suggested timing and prior learning to support your planning and teaching of the Primary Framework across this unit.
This unit builds on children's experience and knowledge from previous learning and introduces new areas of learning that will be developed during the year. It can be linked to many other curriculum areas and to personal, social and health education.
Check that children can already:
- identify and discuss the various features of a fiction text, including characters, settings, themes and dilemmas, the author's intentions, the structure and organisation of the text and the way language is used to create effects on the reader
- discuss their responses to a range of fictional or imaginative texts they have read, on paper and on-screen
- know how various communication modes, for example, visual images, video, sounds, can be used alongside or in combination with words to tell a story
- know how to navigate an interactive non-linear (ICT) text
- use a range of approaches and learning strategies, for example, role-play, dialogue and experimental writing, to extend and explore their understanding of and response to a work of fiction.