Inform and develop practice with the Early Years Foundation Stage principles
This overview can help inform and develop your understanding of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework and its four themes and guiding principles.
The EYFS framework clearly establishes four overarching principles based on these themes:
- A Unique Child
- Positive Relationships
- Enabling Environments and
- Learning and Development
These principles and themes, which are digested on the EYFS: Principles into practice (PDF-170 KB) Attachments card , inform our thinking and practice in order to meet all young children's entitlement to rich and engaging learning experiences.
Applying the themes
These themes are addressed in the following sub-sections as a framework to support practitioners and settings in reflecting on evaluating and developing their practice.
Each sub-section of this resource contains:
- a case study that is an example of practice supporting the learning and achievement of black children in the EYFS
- suggestions for effective practice
- possible challenges and dilemmas
- questions for reflection.