Targeting level 5 and above: Teaching responses to reading
- Publication date:
- Mar 2009
- Attainment targets, Preventing underachievement, Progression, Progression map, Units
Download Publication PDF file - 2.2 MB
This publication supports your strategy with interactive lessons that help pupils to analyse, interpret and discuss a range of texts.
You can use it to consolidate pupils’ skills in:
- understanding and commenting on the structure and organisation of texts
- explaining and commenting on writers' uses of language
- identifying and commenting on writers' purposes and viewpoints.
It includes two teaching units, each with six one-hour lessons.
- Unit 1 examines three poems and concludes with pupils writing an extended critical response.
- Unit 2 focuses on reading non-fiction leading into writing non-fiction.
Each lesson comprises:
- ideas for group activities
- homework that leads into the subsequent lesson
- important points to remember
- assessment focuses
- learning objectives
Who is it for?