Learning targets in science
- Publication date:
- Feb 2010
- Target setting, Assessment criteria, Assessment Focuses (AFs), Attainment, Planning for progression
Download Publication PDF file - 998 KB
This resource provides support for teachers who are beginning to plan for the next steps in learning for pupils as a result of periodic judgements or day-to-day assessments in science. It provides clear Learning targets which show how to progress to the next level. These are supported by examples of science-specific contexts that link closely to the Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP) assessment criteria.
The purpose of these materials is to:
- define what is meant by Learning targets
- explain the principles of setting Learning targets
- outline the process of setting Learning targets and how this can be linked explicitly to opportunities for periodic assessment through Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP)
- identify strategies which enable pupils to take responsibility for their own progress and become more independent learners.