What is the crucial thing that made the difference?
Consulting pupils about what they would like to learn about and the skills that they would like to develop. Involving teachers in the development from the very beginning. The collaborative development of our curriculum must haves. Regular teacher meetings dedicated to the development of staff and the curriculum. The end product and celebrations for parents have raised the profile of their child's learning. Giving teachers the confidence and time to take risks and be creative and time for them to see the advantages of this approach. Regularly consulting pupils and constantly adapting and developing the curriculum design.
What key resources would people who want to learn from your experience need access to?
- Excellence and Enjoyment Materials: http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/publications/learning_and_teaching/landt_cdrom
- QCA case Studies and Curriculum Networks Development. http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_13575.aspx
- Clive Davies - Key Skills for an Excellent and Enjoyable Curriculum (Focus Education).
What CPD session and resources were particularly useful?
- Excellence and Enjoyment - Aspects of Learning materials.
- QCA Curriculum Conferences.
- The Creative Curriculum - Ros Wilson.
If another individual or school was attempting to replicate this work, where would they start and what would the essential elements be?
- Consult pupils and teachers about the learning skills to develop and themes to use to teach the skills. Provide regular opportunities for pupils to personalise their learning by generating their own questions and planning lines of enquiry linked to these.
- Regularly evaluate developments with staff.
- Provide a purposeful and real audience for pupils to create work for.
What further developments are you planning to do (or would you like to see others do)?
- Developing Independent Learners through monthly learning themes.
- Challenging Year 6 pupils to take on aspects of the School Improvement Plan to develop.
- Developing Philosophy for Children.