Role-play using the How science works (HSW) road map
How the HSW road map, resources and activities can help to promote a wider understanding. Scripts suitable for role-play by pupils illustrate the many aspects of HSW.
Main features of the road map
The HSW road map has aspects represented by:
- the buildings
- Challenge and collaboration
- Developing arguments
- Explanations and models
- Planning an approach
- Obtaining primary evidence
- Critical evaluation
- Assessing risk
- Secondary evidence 1
- Secondary evidence 2
- the traffic lights
- Society and culture
- Morals and ethics.
Activity: Role-play and discussions
Each aspect has a short scenario to exemplify it. You can use these for pupils to:
- role-play (Available within Maximising pupil progress – select 'Grouped resources'; 'How science works map'; 'Understanding How science works dialogues in buildings'.
- listen to the recorded scenarios (Available within Maximising pupil progress – select 'Local school'; Navigate to 'Lab C' and select 'Pupil Map' from the noticeboard) and discuss.
- read and annotate the descriptions (Available within Maximising pupil progress – select 'Grouped resources'; 'How science works map'; 'Building descriptions for teachers').