Narrowing the Gaps for literacy subject leaders
Use these materials to help with reviewing planning and to enable you to support inexperienced colleagues better in meeting the needs of all pupils in a class. The materials have a focus on providing practical suggestions to meet the language and literacy needs of different vulnerable groups of children, in order to narrow any gaps between them and the rest of the children in their cohort.
Find a set of self-review questions and practical suggestions in this area to review provision and planning for underperforming vulnerable groups. This is part of Narrowing the Gaps for literacy subject leaders.
- Underperforming looked-after children
- Underperforming Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupils
- Underperforming children who speak English as an additional language
- Underperforming children eligible for free school meals
- Underperforming gifted and talented pupils
- ‘Undemanding’ and underperforming girls from low-income backgrounds
- Underperforming children of black African or Caribbean heritage
- Underperforming boys
- Children with special educational needs
Find out about how you can use these prompts in your conversations with class teachers. This is part of Narrowing the Gaps for literacy subject leaders.