Unit 1: Creating images
You can use this unit summary, suggested timing and prior learning to support your planning and teaching of the Primary Framework across this unit.
This unit builds on children's experience and knowledge from previous learning and introduces new areas of learning that will be developed during the year. It can be linked to many other curriculum areas and to personal, social and health education.
Check that children can already:
- describe the effect a poem has and suggest possible interpretations
- discuss the choice of words and their impact, noticing how the poet creates 'sound effects' by using alliteration, rhythm and rhyme and creates 'pictures' using similes
- perform individually or chorally; vary volume, experimenting with expression and use pauses for effect
- experiment with wordplay
- use powerful nouns, adjectives and verbs, experimenting with alliteration
- write simple free verse; borrow or create a repeating pattern.