These suggested activities can help you to focus and prioritise your teaching of reading within GCSE English.
- Review and assess knowledge examination specifications and Framework objectives for Years 10 and 11.
- Clarify which specifications and objectives elements signify progression between levels of attainment, then share these with pupils.
- Set out a balanced, curriculum plan that addresses objectives, range and content, the wider needs of the pupils, and engaging contexts for education.
- Consider the curriculum plan (and its balance) at Key Stage 3, in preparation for GCSE.
- Build progression into each unit of work using the Framework objectives.
- Evaluate approaches to teaching reading skills in the context of GCSE.
- Adjust or develop approaches to teaching where necessary.
- Draw up a range of key vocabulary and language about reading to share with pupils.
- Develop approaches in short-term and medium-term plans that help pupils to express preferences, develop interpretations and make informed, independent judgements.
- Build a range and repertoire of questions into teaching units that allow pupils to draw their own conclusions.