- Recognise unit fractions such as , , , , … and use them to find fractions of shapes and numbers
Examples of what pupils should know and be able to do
- Primary mathematics exemplification: Find fractions of numbers or quantities
- What numbers are easy to find a third/quarter/fifth/tenth of? Why?
- If I cut a cake into four pieces will each piece be a quarter?
What if pupils find this a barrier?
Use a counting stick to discuss halves and tenths. Some pupils think if there are two parts each must be a half – emphasise that the parts need to be equal.
- Lesson idea: Equivalent fractions