- Use rounding to make estimates; round numbers to the nearest whole number or to one or two decimal places
Examples of what pupils should know and be able to do
- Secondary mathematics exemplification: Round numbers, including to a given number of decimal places
- Talk me through how you would use rounding to estimate the answer to this calculation.
- What influenced your decision about how to round?
- Why do we round to make estimates?
What if pupils find this a barrier?
Encourage pupils to 'read' the calculation and consider the most helpful ways to estimate so as to make the mental calculation easier.
You may need to refer back to Step 6 to make sure that pupils are confident with rounding.
Practise in different real-life situations so that pupils are encouraged to use common sense as well as rules of rounding.