Developing an approach
You can find the short-term and long-term benefits of developing an effective approach to improvement.
A strategic approach will involve a senior and subject leader working collaboratively to implement a process for achieving sustainable growth within the department.
Key elements will involve close partnership working to:
- find creative solutions to overcome challenges, remove barriers, set high expectations for departmental improvement and raise standards for pupils
- help implement an improvement plan and review progress
- establish a climate for learning where teachers are supported in taking risks in the classroom that improve teaching and learning
- make sure everyone has a role or responsibility within the improvement plan
- focus on teachers' development needs to make sure selected Core Plus elements impact positively
- drive sustainable improvement through collaboration focused on planning, teaching and learning.
An effective improvement plan supports the leadership of a department and secures:
- more confident planning for future improvements
- more secure evaluation of progress
- embedded and sustainable improvements across a whole department.