What aspects of good practice can support your EAL learners in science?
You can consider the teaching strategies that can support your EAL pupils and link to the Narrowing the Gap resources. You can link to the Maximising Pupil Progress (formerly Progressing to level 6 and beyond with added How science works) materials.
Effective practice for developing literacy skills with EAL pupils is effective practice for developing literacy skills with all pupils.
- Discuss the cards on Science subject leader development materials: Narrowing the Gap - Table 3 (DOC-76 KB) Attachments with a colleague or with your whole department.
- Check your ideas against Science subject leader development materials: Narrowing the Gap - Table 5 (DOC-78 KB) Attachments .
What aspects of good science teaching can support learning for more advanced EAL pupils?
- Provide lots of opportunities for pupils to talk so they develop competence and confidence in using key words.
- Support pupils developing independence in reading scientific texts by scaffolding the texts using DARTs activities. Gradually remove the scaffolding as they become more confident readers.
- Provide reinforcement of the key features of text types in science, such as description and explanation.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to share effective features of good writing practice.
- Model how to construct sentences that convey the main ideas.
- Provide schemes of learning that include support strategies for pupils and teachers.
- Devise lesson plans that are tailored to include strategies to support EAL pupils.
For more resources to support EAL pupils in science specifically, refer to Maximising Pupil Progress (formerly Progressing to level 6 and beyond with added How science works).
Refer to Narrowing the Gaps in science for extensive information and resources about supporting EAL pupils.