APP recording and progress spreadsheets
See how these spreadsheets can support your judgements within Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP) in relation to other assessment tools, and with additional support from the Assessment focus poster.
Supporting your judgements
These spreadsheets are designed to:
- make the gathering and recording of data straightforward
- present a summary and overview of the assessment process and your judgements
- provide outputs in various forms to support different aspects of the tracking and assessment process.
The spreadsheets are not designed to do the following.
- The spreadsheets are not designed to make the teachers' periodic judgement for them, assigning levels and sublevels based on ticked boxes. Teachers use the information recorded to inform their judgement about pupils' progress.
- While the spreadsheets are designed to support teachers in providing feedback to pupils, parents, carers and senior leaders, they will not create reports for use at events such as annual reporting to parents or departmental reviews.
- The spreadsheets use sublevels to recognise a greater degree of security within a level but do not recognise finer discrimination such as decimal points as a valid way of defining attainment.
Selecting your assessment tool
These are just two of the possible methods that you can use to record evidence in the APP process. There are other methods – such as manually highlighting the assessment guideline grids – that can be just as effective. There is no expectation that either of the science APP recording and progress spreadsheets should be used. No particular method of recording judgements is recommended – it is a matter of professional choice. Either spreadsheet is to be used at the discretion of you and your school.
Using spreadsheet A
Science APP recording and progress spreadsheet A lets you focus on one class and add data by APP thread or assessment focus. Full instructions on how to use spreadsheet A can be found in the 'Instructions' tab of the spreadsheet.
Using spreadsheet B
Science APP recording and progress spreadsheet B allows you to enter a whole year group of students onto one sheet and closely mimics the paper-based APP process. Full instructions on how to use spreadsheet B can be found in the 'Instructions' tab of the spreadsheet.
Assessment focus poster
This is a downloadable poster that contains all the assessment focuses (from 1 to 5) for levels 3 to 8.