You can use this checklist to review children’s prior learning and help plan your teaching across the block.
Check that children can already:
- use language such as 'more' or 'less' to compare two numbers
- relate addition to combining two groups of objects and subtraction to 'taking away'
- use some of the vocabulary involved in adding and subtracting
- use everyday words to describe position
- use language such as 'greater', 'smaller', 'heavier' or 'lighter' to compare quantities
- use everyday language related to time and sequence familiar events.