English Core Plus
The materials for Core Plus: Leading improvement in English offer support to senior and subject leaders working collaboratively to improve practice.
Sustainable improvement is developed through effective senior and subject leadership with:
- the whole English team working together on a clear set of priorities to improve pupils’ progress in reading, writing, speaking and listening
- time and coaching being provided for English teachers as they try out and evaluate the impact of changes and developments in their teaching
- all English teachers working collaboratively, through peer observation, coaching and professional development activities that make sure that no one is ‘left behind’ and everyone has a role or responsibility in the improvement plan.
Using the materials
The Core Plus materials contain four elements each focusing on a different area of improvement. It is often better to start with one element, carefully selected and tailored to your own school’s overall improvement priorities than to try and address them all at the same time. When you start working collaboratively in the department, you can make sure it impacts on key groups of pupils as quickly as possible. Be prepared to refocus as barriers to improvement become apparent and productive developments begin to emerge.
Using the Core Plus quality standards and six-week improvement plans will help:
- senior leaders to make informed decisions, which can better support development in core subject departments
- subject leaders to be more:
- confident in planning for future improvements
- secure in evaluating progress with the action plan
- skilled in making sure improvements are embedded across the whole department.