Using the quality standards
You can find the outcomes and long-term benefits of using the quality standards as part of the six-week improvement process. You can also download and complete the Element 2: Quality standards evaluation form (DOC-26 KB) Attachments to help you assess your department's teaching.
Effective teaching and learning in English makes sure that:
- the development of teaching sequences for reading and writing engages pupils to contribute actively to lessons and make swift, tangible progress
- the development of a climate for learning to help pupils become increasingly functional and independent
- the development of behaviours for learning and the promotion of social and emotional skills
- the promotion of consistent attendance to reduce barriers to learning.
Longer term, there is consistency in the department so that teachers are:
- skilled in using the teaching sequences for reading and writing
- able to identify and select the approaches needed to ensure pupils engage with their learning and contribute in lessons
- able to create an ethos in their lessons which sets high expectations of pupils’ behaviour and outcomes.