What role can parents play?
There is much that parents can do to support their child with their mathematics learning. This does not necessarily require a lot of specialist knowledge of mathematics. Create opportunities for children to talk about their mathematics learning and join in with activities at home that require mathematical thinking and making use of mathematics. The aim is to give your child more time to talk about their mathematics – time which is naturally scarce during a busy mathematics lesson in school.
Key ways to support your child with learning mathematics:
- Be positive, show interest and encourage
- Help your child to see mathematics in use at home
- Play games that involve reasoning and discussion
- Communicate with teachers at your child's school
- Make sure your child has the necessary equipment.