Academies and free schools
You can find suggestions to help you set up a strong system that will improve attendance in your academy or free school. There is also information on recording absence and investing in attendance.
As an academy you may choose the number of sessions you will be open to pupils for. Maintained schools have to be open for 380 sessions. Use the possible number of sessions to record attendance.
So an academy could:
- plan the school year to secure high-quality learning and attendance
- stagger starts for different year groups
- have longer, but fewer, sessions during a working week.
Investing in attendance
Invest in attendance through:
- appropriate, high-quality use of data
- a principal and senior team who champion attendance
- sponsored input and interest about attendance
- effective practice and procedures.