Legal Adviser/Senior Legal Adviser (Band D)
Summary Information for vacancy - reference OFG/636
Office of Gas and Electricity Markets
£43600 - £56650 Per Annum
SW1P 3GE, City of Westminster, Greater London, London
20 June 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
You will be expected to manage your own caseload of high profile work, advising on a range of Public Law issues in a regulatory context. Where appropriate, you will be expected to manage external legal resource, including law firms and Counsel. You will also be expected to supervise legal and administrative staff, as well as to liaise with other legal and policy teams within Ofgem and across the Government Legal Service as required.
Ofgem’s legal function is embedded across its policy teams. The advertised post is in the Markets Division.
The Markets Division lawyers work with policy colleagues across a range of important, fast-moving and high profile projects affecting the retail and wholesale gas and electricity markets, such as the ongoing Retail Market Review and the roll-out of smart metering. The Division is working closely with DECC regarding its Electricity Market Reform policies and is directly involved in various European developments (including Third Package implementation). The legal team is also seen as a focus of competition law expertise within Ofgem.
You will also be expected to:
• Have a ‘can do’ and solutions driven approach to providing timely and expert legal advice to colleagues in the Markets Division and, when called upon, across Ofgem on a range of issues both in respect of discrete requests for legal advice and as a member of a project team
• Anticipate potential legal risks/challenges/obstacles and be proactive and timely in managing these, highlighting them as appropriate to senior management
• Be a strong team player across Ofgem
• Keep up to date with legal developments in relevant areas and be proactive in managing personal and career development.
English language skills
• Have excellent legal professional skills and powers of analysis, sound legal judgement and expertise in assessing and using evidence
• Demonstrate strong drafting and communications skills
• Work well under pressure and manage a broad-ranging workload with competing demands
Be qualified to practise as a solicitor/barrister in England and Wales
• Have expertise of advising on the following:
o Public Law issues – sound knowledge and experience is essential whether in an advisory or litigation context
o European Law and Competition Law (highly desirable)
o Litigation/Appeals Processes, SI Drafting, Information Law, Human Rights Law (desirable)
• Demonstrate knowledge of Energy Law or experience within one of more of the regulated utility sectors (desirable)
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - Yes
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - No
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please visit www.ofgemjobs.co.uk/recruitment-timetable
Closing date: 12 noon, 20 June 2011.
Please quote reference OFG/636 in all correspondence.