Transport user benefit appraisal
TUBA is transport economic appraisal software developed by Mott MacDonald on behalf of the Department for Transport. It stands for Transport User Benefit Appraisal.
The purpose of TUBA is to carry out transport scheme economic appraisal in accordance with the DfT’s published guidance in Units 3.5 of the WebTAG guidance. It implements a ’willingness to pay’ approach to economic appraisal for multi-modal schemes with fixed or variable demand.
TUBA is used by practically all transport consultants in the UK and a number of others abroad.
The current version of TUBA is 1.8.
All prices exclude VAT, which will be applied at the prevailing rate where appropriate.
|Type of use||Licence fee (£)|
|Commercial use within the EU only||£500|
|Educational use within the EU only||£100|
|Commercial use World Licence (including use outside the EU)||£1000|
|Educational use World Licence (including use outside the EU)||£200|
1. VAT at prevailing rates will be added to the above prices where appropriate.
2. The licence entitles the user (subject to the the Licence Agreement) to use of the software for an unlimited period of time and, within 12 months of purchasing the licence, user support and access to download new versions of the software from this site. Full details are given in the licence agreement.
3. One licence entitles a user to install multiple copies of TUBA but at a single site. Additional copies may be purchased at the same prices for additional sites – there is no discount available for additional copies.
4. The prices are agreed with DfT and cannot be negotiated.
5. Licences purchased for Educational use may be used by students for the purpose of gaining educational qualifications. Research institutions (eg universities) must purchase a Commercial Licence in order to use the software to carry out research for payment. Local Authorities must also purchase a Commercial Licence to use the software.
6. Commercial EU licences can only be used for appraising transport schemes within the EU. Appraisal of transport schemes outside the EU may only be undertaken with a Commercial World Licence.
There are three payment options:
- Send us an official purchase order. On receipt of this we will despatch the software immediately and issue you with an invoice which must be paid within 30 days
- Send us a cheque for the full amount, including any VAT (if applicable), made payable to Mott MacDonald, to Dee Wells at the address below. On receipt of your cheque we will despatch the software immediately and issue you with an invoice for your records
- Ask us to issue an invoice. The software will be despatched when full payment has been received
When placing an order please let us know your full contact details, i.e. name, organisation, address, telephone number and e-mail address. Please also let us know the site address(es) at which the software will be installed.
Hampshire SO50 9NW
T: +44 (0)2380 628778
F: +44 (0)2380 628801
If you have any questions, problems or suggestions please contact the TUBA help desk at Mott MacDonald: firstname.lastname@example.org. All feedback on TUBA is very welcome.
Guidance on all aspects of transport appraisal can be found on WebTAG.
General enquiries about WebTAG, economic appraisal of transport schemes and the interpretation of the guidance should be directed to ITEA division at the Department for Transport: email@example.com.