Sea passenger statistics
Passengers - covers annual international and domestic passenger and passenger vehicle traffic at UK ports. Annual figures appear first in the Sea Passenger Bulletin and then with additional domestic traffic in the Maritime Statistics Report, Section 3.
Important Note: International sea passenger totals are updated monthly via a spreadsheet on this page (see link below) on the second Thursday of each month.
The latest statistics on Sea passengers
Latest annual update: 17 February 2011
Summary of latest key results
In 2010 21.9 million international ferry passengers travelled to and from the UK slightly higher than the 2009 figure (21.6 million)
- Dover, the largest UK ferry port, handled 13 million journeys in 2010 (virtually unchanged on 2009)
The next busiest ports in 2010 were Portsmouth (2.2 million passengers) and Holyhead (2 million passengers)
- In 2010 there were 3.1 million domestic passengers on the three major routes (between mainland Britain and Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands), virtually unchanged compared to 2009
Tables, charts and maps on Sea passengers
The tables provide further details on the topics covered in the xxx statistical releases. Please refer to the notes on the tables themselves and the technical guidance documents further down this web page.
Complete set of Sea passenger tables, charts and maps
UK Sea passenger time series - annual tables
- SPAS 0101 UK international sea passengers by port: from 1950 (XLS - 88 KB)
- SPAS 0102 UK international short sea passengers by ferry route: from 1994 (XLS - 72 KB)
- SPAS 0103 UK international short sea passengers by overseas country: from 1950 (XLS - 57 KB)
- SPAS 0201 UK domestic sea passengers by type of route: from 1994 (XLS - 62 KB)
- TSGB 2010/Maritime Statistics 2009: Passengers - data tables (XLS - 62 KB)
UK sea passenger time series - quarterly tables
- SPAS 0104 UK international sea passenger movements by port: from 1998 (XLS - 67 KB)
- SPAS 0105 UK international short sea passengers by ferry route: from 1998 (XLS - 149 KB)
- SPAS 0106 UK international short sea passengers by overseas country: from 1998 (XLS - 67 KB)
- SPAS 0202 UK domestic sea passenger movements by type of route: from 1998 (XLS - 84 KB)
UK Sea passenger time series - monthly tables
UK sea passenger times series - charts
- SPAS 0301 International sea and channel tunnel passengers: from 1990 (XLS - 58 KB)
- SPAS 0302 International ferry passengers sailing to or from UK ports by port group: 2010 (XLS - 55 KB)
- SPAS 0303 International sea and channel tunnel passengers: quarterly from 1996 (XLS - 54 KB)
- Sea passenger statistics technical note (PDF - 48 KB)
- Pre-release access list for UK Sea passenger statistics (PDF - 12 KB)
Previous Sea passenger statistical releases
These are superseded publications. The most recent Sea passenger statistical release is available at the top of this web page.
- Sea passenger bulletin 2009
- Sea passenger bulletin 2008
- Sea passenger bulletin 2007
- Sea passenger bulletin 2006
- Sea passenger bulletin 2005
Help accessing downloadable file formats
Most publications are available in portable document format (PDF) or rich text format (RTF) for downloading and reading offline. PDF files may only be compatible with the latest version of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader .
People with visual difficulties may find it useful to learn about improving the accessibility of Acrobat documents at the Adobe Accessibility Resource Centre .
For information about RTF and zip files please visit help with downloads.
If you are unable to access a publication, please email email@example.com or phone 020 7944 4131 to organise a suitable alternative format.
For related documents, pages and internet links, see the column on the right.