Page Summary

This part of the CAA web site provides customers with information about Flight Crew Licences, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licences and Air Traffic Services Licences.

Main Content

Flight Crew

This section is responsible for the grant of pilot, flight engineer and radio-telephony licences and additional qualifications for aeroplanes, helicopters, gyroplanes, airships and free balloons for private and professional flying. 

We also approve training organisations and courses, authorise licensing examiners and provide a range of licensing examination, flight test, administrative and general services. 
Note: Except for professional flying, glider flying is regulated under arrangements made by the British Gliding Association.

    This section is responsible for the grant of Air Traffic Services (ATS) Personnel licences. Two levels of service are provided in the United Kingdom, with an appropriate licence for each:
    • Air Traffic Control Service -  provided by Licensed Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCOs)
    • Flight Information Service - provided by Licensed Flight Information Service Officers (FISOs) 
    • The approval of Air Traffic Controller training providers, policy matters and standardisation remains with the Air Traffic Standards Division. 

    We also administer certificates of competence awarded to Radio Station operators 


    This section is responsible for all aspects of Flight Crew and Engineering professional examinations

    For Flight Crew Examinations

              For Engineering Examinations


    Please make sure you notify PLD of your change of address, you may be missing out on vital safety information. Click here for form

    Licensing Information

    We endeavour to process all licence applications within 10 working days