51 33'.99 N 03 58'.21 W
Photo by Ian Cowe
For over 200 years the Mumbles Lighthouse has guided vessels along the coast and into Swansea Bay, past the hazards of the Mixon Shoal ½ mile to the South. This unmanned lighthouse is built on the outer of two islands, known as Mumbles Head, lying about 500 yards to the E.S.E. of the mainland known as Mumbles, Swansea. The station is accessible by foot at certain states of the tide or by boat at high water.
The Swansea Harbour Trustees were given the power to provide a lighthouse at the outer Mumbles in the Harbour Act of 1791. In July 1792 the Trustees contracted for the erection of the lighthouse and work began; however in October 1792 the half finished structure collapsed. In 1793 the plans of the local architect William Jernegan were accepted and the lighthouse was finally completed and lit in 1794.
The Mumbles originally displayed two open coal fire lights one above the other to distinguish it from St Ann's Head Lighthouse which had two lights on separate towers and Flatholm Lighthouse with one light. The coal lights in braziers were expensive and difficult to maintain so were quickly replaced with a single oil powered light consisting of argand lamps with reflectors within a cast iron lantern. The original two lights are still reflected in the two tier structure of the tower.The fort or battery which surrounds the southern side of the lighthouse was built in 1860 by the War Department.
Trinity House assumed responsibility for Mumbles Lighthouse from the British Transport Docks Board on 1 November 1975.
In 1995 the Lighthouse was converted to solar powered operation, with solar module arrays being mounted in frames on the fort roof. A pair of biformed Tideland ML300 lanterns replaced the main light and a new emergency light, fog detector and control and monitoring equipment were installed. The latter is linked to the Trinity House Operations and Planning Centre at Harwich.
|Height Of Tower||17 Metres|
|Height Of Light Above Mean High Water||35 Metres|
|Lamp||12 Volt 100 Watt Quartz Halogen|
|Optic||Biformed Pair Of Tideland Ml300 Beacons|
|Character||4 White Flashes Every 20 Seconds|
|Range Of Light||16 nautical miles|
|Fog Signal Character||3 Blasts Every 60 Seconds|
|Fog Signal Range||2 nautical miles|