Publications and other resources
This page lists of our bus and coach publications together with links to related literature and other resources.
Meeting the needs of disabled travellers - A guide to good practice for real-time information systems providers
This guide gives clear and practical advice for those involved in the delivery of passenger information. The guidelines have been produced by the Real Time Information Group (RTIG), which was established in 2000 with funding from the Department. Published: 30 June 2006.
- The Safety of Passengers in Wheelchairs on Buses (VSE 87/1)
Hard copy only - available from the Mobility & Inclusion Unit
Guidance on the Safe Transportation of Wheelchairs
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency Bulletin DB2001(03)
Guidance on the Safe Use of Wheelchairs and Vehicle-Mounted passenger lifts
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency Bulletin DB 2003(03)
Guidance on the Stability of Wheelchairs
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency Bulletin DB2004(02)
- Mobility for everyone - COST Action 322
Low Floor Buses
- Mobility for everyone - COST Action 349
Accessibility of coaches and long distance buses for people with reduced mobility
- Wheels Within Wheels
A guide to using wheelchairs on public transport
- Take Care of Your Customers - Advice to Bus and Coach Operators
- We Can Do That - Bus driver training video (Available direct from GoSkills for £10)
- Inclusive Mobility: A Guide to Best Practice on Access to Pedestrian and Transport Infrastructure
- Disability Discrimination Act 1995 - DRC Code of Practice - Rights of Access to Goods, Facilities, Services and Premises
Buses and coaches not covered by PSVAR
At present PSVAR only covers new buses and coaches which have a carrying capacity of more than 22 passengers, are used to provide a local or scheduled service and were introduced into service since 31 December 2000. The Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee (DPTAC) has looked into smaller vehicles and produced guidance on making these accessible:
PSVAR guidance, 'conduct' regulations and research
This page gives information and guidance on amendments made to the 'Conduct' regulations which place duties on bus drivers and conductors to assist disabled people.
Relates to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Section 40.
Details of research we have undertaken to ensure that buses and coaches are accessible to disabled people.
For related documents, pages and internet links, see the column on the right.