This web page provides statistics on activity at UK airports and by UK airlines; summary statistics for major international airports and airlines; casualties caused by aviation and air proximity incidents. This page also gives links to the websites of the main source of the aviation data, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
The latest information on Aviation
Latest update: 25 November 2010
Summary of latest key results
- In 2009, there were 2.1 million air transport movements (take-offs and landings) and 218 million terminal passengers at UK airports, a fall of 11 per cent and 9 per cent respectively since the peak in 2007.
- Heathrow was the UK's busiest airport, handling 22 per cent of air transport movements, 30 per cent of terminal passengers and 62 per cent of freight tonnes in 2009.
- The five London airports accounted for 60 per cent of all terminal passengers at UK airports in 2009, down from 65 per cent in 1999.
- In 2009, 72 per cent of international passenger movements at UK airports were to/from European origins/destinations. Spain (including the Canary Islands) was the most popular origin/destination, accounting for 17 per cent.
- There were 89 casualties caused by accidents involving UK aircraft in UK airspace in 2009 and 147 aircraft proximity incidents.
Tables, charts and maps on Aviation
The tables provide further details on the topics covered in the Transport Statistics Great Britain statistical release. Please refer to the notes and definitions in technical information documents further down this web page.
Complete set of Aviation tables, charts and maps
- ZIP XLS of all published tables and charts - TSGB Aviation (ZIP - 777 KB)
- ZIP CSV of all published tables - TSGB Aviation (ZIP - 22 KB)
- ZIP PDF of all documents (ZIP - 85 KB)
Activity at United Kingdom airports
- AVI0101 Total traffic (XLS - 35 KB)
- AVI0102 Traffic by type of service and operator (XLS - 123 KB)
- AVI0103 Punctuality: Percentage of flights on time within 15 minutes (XLS - 32 KB)
- AVI0104 Forecasts of terminal passengers (XLS - 35 KB)
- AVI0105 International passenger movements by country of embarkation or landing (XLS - 53 KB)
- AVI0106 Type of passenger (XLS - 32 KB)
- AVI0107 Mode of transport to airport (XLS - 43 KB)
- AVI0108 Major airports in the United Kingdom (map) (XLS - 694 KB)
Activity of United Kingdom airlines
- AVI0201 Main outputs by type of service (XLS - 47 KB)
- AVI0202 Airline fleet (XLS - 35 KB)
- AVI0203 Employment worldwide (XLS - 29 KB)
Major international airports and airlines
- AVI0301 Activity at major airports (XLS - 38 KB)
- AVI0302 Passenger traffic via major airlines (XLS - 37 KB)
Casualties and incidents
- AVI0401 Casualties caused by aviation accidents (XLS - 38 KB)
- AVI0402 Aircraft proximity (AIRPROX): number of incidents (XLS - 33 KB)
- Notes and Definitions - TSGB Chapter 2 (Aviation) (PDF - 56 KB)
- Table look-up: 2009 TSGB to 2010 TSGB web tables (XLS - 27 KB)
Help accessing downloadable file formats
Most publications are available in portable document format (PDF) or rich text format (RTF) for downloading and reading offline. PDF files may only be compatible with the latest version of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader .
People with visual difficulties may find it useful to learn about improving the accessibility of Acrobat documents at the Adobe Accessibility Resource Centre .
For information about RTF and zip files please visit help with downloads.
If you are unable to access a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 7944 3088 to organise a suitable alternative format.
For related documents, pages and internet links, see the column on the right.