THINK! usage request form
What are usage costs and why are they required?
- A usage cost is what artists/photographers charge for the use of their properties.
- Usage costs are often charged when there is intent to use an advertisement in paid for media space. Even if media space is secured for free, usage costs will sometimes still apply if the ad is going to be seen in a public space, for example as posters, or on TV, radio or online.
- The Department for Transport (DfT) only contracts artists for specific campaign periods. All media appearances outside of these periods need to be negotiated on a case-by-case basis with the artists via their agent.
- Usage is payable from the first use date/showing of the material.
- Often DfT advertisements can be used for free when only educational use is required.
Educational use is defined as:
- For unpaid media use in educational environments such as nurseries, schools, college and universities.
- For unpaid media use in public environments where road safety material might be relevant, such as police stations, police/country shows, shopping centres, doctors surgeries and libraries.
- For unpaid media use by private companies to use as part of their internal road safety training.
In order to obtain usage permission for required materials please fill in the form below, We will aim to respond within 5 working days.
An asterisk* indicates that the question is mandatory.