Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) between the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) and the Department for Transport (DfT)
1. This MoA sets out the obligations of VOSA and DfT in respect of Directive 2006/22/EC (as amended) on minimum conditions for the implementation of Council Regulations (EEC) No 3820/85 and (EEC) No 3821/85 concerning social legislation relating to road transport activities (which repeals Council Directive 88/599/EEC). (Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 amended Council Regulations (EEC) No 3821/85 and (EC) No2135/98 and repealed Council Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85). A copy of Directive 2006/22/EC in its original form is attached at Annex A.
2. For the purposes of this MoA:
- a) references to ‘DfT’ mean DfT Centre (based in Great Minster House, London);
b) references to VOSA mean VOSA Centre (based in Berkeley House, Bristol).
3. For the purposes of enforcing the EU drivers’ hours and tachograph rules in Great Britain, VOSA will continue to ensure that its enforcement strategy meets all the requirements set out in Directive 2006/22/EC, as amended by Directives 2009/4/EC and 2009/5/EC from the date of implementation of those Directives (namely 31st December 2009). Copies of these two Directives are attached at Annex B. An informal consolidated copy of Directive 2006/22/EC is attached at Annex C.
4. DfT will continue to maintain overall policy responsibility for implementing Directive 2006/22/EC, as amended by Directives 2009/4/EC and 2009/5/EC, and provide policy support to VOSA to enable it to meet all the requirements of Directive 2006/22/EC (as amended).
5. This MoA will come into operation on 18 September. On that date the MoA between DfT and VOSA of April 2007 will expire.
6. The impact of changes in European legislation, DfT policies and priorities will be re-assessed annually. Any variation of this MoA will be agreed in writing by DfT and VOSA.
Signatures of Agreement
Signed Stephen Fidler
Signed Peter Hearn