Head of Econometrics
Summary Information for vacancy - reference OFT877
Office of Fair Trading
£58250 - £71430 Per Annum
EC4Y 8JX, City of London, Greater London, London
09 May 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
The role is varied and stimulating. As a Senior Economist in the Chief Economist's Office, you will make a major contribution to the general management of the group, as well as helping to lead and manage the economists within the Econometrics and Economic Policy team. As well as reviewing competition and consumer cases and studies for economic robustness and consistency, you’ll provide expert input into key issues of UK competition and consumer policy. Designing, tendering and managing our external economic research projects will also come under your remit, as will carrying out internal research and organising research seminars and other economics training in support of the Chief Economist’s professional development role. Managing major projects, providing expert economic advice, leading a team that’s helping to shape economic competition policy - you simply won’t find a comparable role in any other organisation.
With a degree, or preferably a postgraduate degree, in economics or a related subject, you have substantial experience of analysing markets using econometric techniques, strong technical skills in competition economics and a good knowledge of relevant competition law and how the two are linked. Direct experience of applying econometrics to consumer or competition cases is highly desirable, although not essential. However, experience of using econometrics to answer complex questions is essential. You’re also used to leading and supervising the work of others in a cross-disciplinary team environment. An ambitious self-starter, creative thinker and innovative solutions provider, you know how to manage upwards and downwards and deliver whilst working on multiple projects. What’s more, you are highly analytical, with sound judgment, strong influencing and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate complex economics to a non-technical audience.
• Substantial experience of working as an economist analysing markets and to have strong technical skills in competition economics (essential)
• Pratical experience in the use of applying Econometric techniques in market situations (essential) and on consumer or competition cases (desirable).
• Strong knowledge of Industrial Organisation (essential) and competition economics (desirable)
• Experience in leading and supervising the work of others. (essential)
• Experience of working in cross-disciplinary (law and economics) teams. (desirable)
• Knowledge of relevant competition law, and a good understanding of how it links with competition economics (desirable).
• Degree in economics with first or upper second class honours, or a postgraduate degree in economics or a related subject (essential). A postgraduate qualification is highly desirable.
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - No
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - No
How to apply
Please submit a full CV and a comprehensive but succinct covering letter addressing Job Specific Professional/Technical Criterion. Please also complete and submit a diversity monitoring form (Word).
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com or sent by post to:
The Office of Fair Trading
2-6 Salisbury Square
Please quote reference OFT877 - Head of Econometrics.
150411120326_DIVERSITY MONITORING FORM (MAY 09).doc
150411120343_877 - HEAD OF ECONOMETRICS.doc