Trainee Trials Conducting Officer
Summary Information for vacancy - reference 23387
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
Salisbury, Wiltshire, South West
29 April 2011
23 May 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
Engineering, Operational Delivery, Operational Research, Science
Evaluation, Trials & Operations Group within Environmental Sciences Department [ESD] at Dstl Porton Down provides a Range Facility, which is used for the research and development of scientific concepts and tests & evaluates equipment for Dstl, MOD and commercial contracts.
As a trainee Trials Conducting Officer you will be working towards supporting and developing our trials and evaluation capability on the range at DSTL Porton Down. You will be working in a small team with the ability to develop into the role of Trials Conducting Officer.
Specifically you will be required to:
• Provide Technical Input into our trials activities in the areas of Toxic Chemical, Explosive or instrumentation development
• Review and develop our internal processes
• Assist Range Management with the delivery of the trials programme and where competent act as Trials Conducting Officer
• Assist with training of Range Staff on Scientific issues
• Assist with design of trials plans and interpretation of data for Customers
• Develop collaborative links and Networks within Dstl and with appropriate external organisations
You will also be required to form part of the Range Trials Officers Team and will be deployed on other trials activities to support the operations of the range as required.
Evidence of appropriate professional development.
• A scientific, technical or engineering background
• A considerable amount of flexibility is required and some unsociable hours may be necessary.
• A full clean UK driving licences is desirable.
• You must be capable of working to safety protocols and ensure others adhere to them.
• Ability to gain the relevant competencies and experience to undertake a variety of trials
• Good communication skills and experience of presenting to a range of audiences, both military and civilian.
• A proven record as a good team player (even when working to tight deadlines and under pressure).
• An ability to effectively organise/prioritise your workload and, where appropriate, to provide assistance to others to do the same.
• Experience of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. including the ability to prepare written documentation such as Risk assessments
• This role will require a good level of fitness and is working outdoors throughout the year.
• Membership of a relevant professional body
• Knowledge of Ministry of Defence [MOD] and Other Government Departments [OGD] structure and work area
• Knowledge of trials
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - Yes
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - Yes
How to apply
To apply, email a completed Dstl internal application form to email@example.com quoting the reference number in the subject line.
14031124257_23387 Trials Conducting Officer.doc