Summary Information for vacancy - reference RO0050
Secret Intelligence Service
This is a total package
Greater London, London
30 September 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
We are actively looking for linguists with excellent written and spoken fluency in Persian or Arabic. These are challenging roles which are critical to the success of SIS’s operational work. They are full-time and based in London.
• Carry out high-level linguist work in a variety of situations, such as documentary translation and person-to-person interpreting
• Contribute specialist cultural knowledge of the relevant geographical areas
• Support the work of operational teams
• A high level of written and spoken fluency in Persian or Arabic. This will include the ability to read, write, speak and understand the language to an advanced level
• The ability to express yourself in clear, written English
• A detailed knowledge of the cultural and linguistic background of relevant geographic areas
• Willingness to use your language to a professional standard on a daily basis
• Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills
• Knowledge of other languages is also advantageous
CRB check required - Yes
Regulated by OCSC - Yes
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - Yes
How to apply
Security Clearance: Appointment will be subject to Developed Vetting (DV) security clearance.
Nationality requirement: You must be a British national and at least one of your parents must be British, or have substantial ties to the UK. If you are a dual national you may be required to relinquish any non-British nationality as a condition of appointment.
Equal opportunities: SIS is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community who satisfy the nationality criteria above.
Closing date: 30 September 2011
Application: To apply, please visit www.siscareers.gov.uk
There will then be a series of competency and language-based assessments to ascertain your suitability for the role. You should not mention SIS in your application.
Discretion is an integral part of working for SIS. At this stage please limit those you tell about your application to your parents and/or partner, providing they are British nationals.
Further information about working in SIS is available on our website www.sis.gov.uk.