ADS Data / Lab Technician
Summary Information for vacancy - reference 23419
Defence Engineering and Science Group
Gosport, Hampshire, South East
02 May 2011
31 May 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
Administration, Engineering, Medicine, Science
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) provides radiation monitoring to Ministry of Defence personnel who are occupationally exposed to ionising radiation. Dstl requires a person to support a dedicated team of technicians for the provision and analysis of radiation dosemeters and the management of radiation dose records.
The role involves:
• Accessing and updating personal radiation dose records on a bespoke database.
• Dispatching radiation dose results to customers.
• Responding to customer enquiries.
• Carrying out routine administration tasks.
• Carry out Quality Assurance checks on the TLD readers and etched-track readers.
• Anneal whole body, extremity and environmental TLD’s.
• Issue whole body, extremity, environmental TLD’s, combined dosemeters and radon detectors.
• Book-in dosemeters.
• Assess whole body, extremity, environmental TLD’s, combined dosemeters and radon detectors.
• Engrave and cut etched-track plastic.
• Prepare etch chemicals.
• Participate in Dstl audits and HSE inspections.
• Participate in the NARO on-call roster.
This position is necessary to ensure that radiation exposures are recorded accurately and in a timely manner.
Dstl’s radiation dosimetry services are approved by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)..
On the job training is provided to ensure competence at performing routine duties and operations using bespoke software systems.
• Basic numerical skills.
• Intermediate level skills in MS Word, Excel and Outlook
Basic education to GCSE standard or equvilant (Maths, English and a Science Subject preferred
General awareness of the nature, characteristics, hazards and risks of ionizing radiation would be advantageous.
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - No
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - Yes
How to apply
To apply, visit www.dstl.gov.uk/careers and search for reference 23419. Email a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference number in the subject line.
06041135826_23419 JOB DESCRIPTION ADS Data Lab Tech.doc