Small text Medium text Large text
  • » Information and advice service

Information and advice service

We’re here to help…

The Information and Advice Service is a free service staffed by experienced practitioners and teacher trainers. The service offers confidential, specialist advice on all aspects of working in the lifelong sector.

We’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for you to contact us.  Firstly though, we’d ask that you take a good look at our information pages as there’s lots of useful content which should help with your enquiry.

If you’ve not found an answer or have further questions to ask then please contact us:

By email


During our opening hours we aim to respond within a few hours if the question does not require research on our part. At all other times please allow up to 48 hours for a response.

By phone:

telephoneYou can call us on 0300 303 1877. The phone lines are open 10.00 to 16.30 weekdays.  Call cost is at the same rate as a standard landline call, even from a mobile.

Please also delve into the forums where you can talk to other people in your position and post your questions and comments.

Finally, every fortnight or monthly, take part in a live chat with one of our advisors.  Ask them anything you like (about this sector please!).

We’re always looking to improve, so please help us achieve our goal by telling us how we’ve done.  It will only take a moment to fill in our Feedback Form

Please note: We cannot arrange places on training courses, or employment positions, nor can we offer in-depth careers guidance, but we can point you in the right direction to find these things.

We also can’t help you if you want to work in the schools sector, you’ll need to speak to the TDA (Training and Development Agency); their contact details are: 0845 6000 991


Our Statement of Service:




  1. Pat Penniston
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 4:45pm | Permalink

    I have two trainers who have completed their CIPD certificate in training practice (CTP). The standards verification UK website suggests this fully covers the CTTLS mandatory units and so is deemed an equivalent. Is this the case bearing in mind CTTLS also has an optional unit, if so can the CTP be used as APL and will completion of the optional unit meet the full qualification requirements for CTTLS?

  2. Philipp
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 11:38am | Permalink

    As you state, the CIPD qualification has been included within the Tariff of Initial Teacher Training qualifications and has been deemed to be equivalent to the mandatory units of CTLLS. The Tariff does not substitute for the required qualifications but can be used as a tool by teacher training providers in order to determine the extent of any accreditation or recognition of previous learning (A/RPL). This does indeed mean that it is possible for a teacher training provider to credit you with the mandatory units and to award CTLLS on completion of either one 6 credit or two 3 credit optional unit(s). There is no time limit concerning when your colleagues gained CIPD. There is a 30 hour supervised teaching requirement for CTLLS which your previous role may have allowed you to meet but a teacher training provider might want to observe you in a teaching role.

    The decision regarding A/RPL is determined by a teacher training provider in accordance with guidelines laid down by the awarding body.

    I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

  3. IT_Trainer
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 1:59pm | Permalink

    I hold the City & Guilds Training & Development Certificate – 7306 Further & Adult Education (NVQ 3) (includes D32 and D33 NVQ Assessor). If I remember rightly, I got this in 1998. As I am now training in the public sector, I feel that I need to ‘convert’ this to a CTLLS.

    The Standards Verification site mentions the 7307 Certificate in Teaching Adult Learners as a legacy qualification (with full coverage), but not the 7306. However, a training provider has told me that the 7306 can be used as RPL towards the first 3 units of the CTLLS at Level 3, and would mean that I would only be required to complete the Optional Unit to achieve the CTLLS.

    Could you please confirm that this is correct? If so, would any training providers be prepared to offer me training that only included the Optional Unit? (Or would I have to pay for a full course?)

    Thank you very much for your help.