Jump to content

Home Office - UK Border Agency

Main navigation


  • Choose the right service
  • Download the interactive form
  • Complete the form on your computer
  • Upload the form and pay online
  • Print and sign the official form
About you
1.1 Tell us about your goals and situation  

* indicates required information

I want to

Tell us about your plans or problems.

Visit means a stay of up to 6 months in the UK. You must not work while you are in the UK and you should be able to support yourself financially while you are here. Reasons for a visit include vacations, business meetings and travel for amateur sports, entertainment and cultural events. You can also visit the UK to study short courses. As an academic visitor, you may be able to stay up to 12 months. Study means courses of longer than 6 months in UK schools, universities and colleges.

Work means paid work for a UK employer.

Residence is permission to live in the UK for a limited period while not working or studying. Settlement in the UK is permission to stay permanently in the UK, free from immigration control. This is also known as 'indefinite leave to remain' or 'ILR'. Residence and settlement are different from citizenship.

British citizens have the right to live in the UK permanently and are free to leave and re-enter the country at any time. British citizenship is given to people who have a close connection with the UK, which for nationality purposes includes the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. A close connection may be by birth, adoption, descent, marriage, registration or naturalisation. Unmarried partnership is not considered to be a close connection.

Until 1949, nearly everyone with a close connection to the UK was called a British subject. All citizens of Commonwealth countries were British subjects until January 1983. Since that date, very few categories of people have qualified as British subjects. It is a form of British nationality.

Under UK law, a Civil Partnership gives same-sex couples the same rights and responsibilities as partners in a civil marriage.

A Home Office travel document allows you to travel outside the UK if you cannot use a passport issued by your own country.

I am applying as

Tell us whether you are applying as an individual or as a dependent of a family member. You may also apply for some services as an employer or as the representative of a child under 18.

Apply as an individual if you want us to consider your application based on your personal plans, merits and history.

Apply as a partner, spouse, child or dependent if you want us to consider your application based on your relationship to a family member who already has the right to live in the UK.

A spouse means a husband or wife. A partner means an unmarried or same sex-partner you are in a relationship with.

I am now living in

Tell us whether you are currently living in the UK or in a British overseas territory.

The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland together with the Channel Islands. For the purposes of nationality, it also includes the Isle of Man.

British overseas territories are currently: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands and Dependencies, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands, St Helena and Dependencies, the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Turks and Caicos Islands, and the Virgin Islands. British overseas territories were formerly known as the British dependent territories.

My current nationality is

Please tell us your current nationality. Your nationality is the country of which you are a citizen. This is not necessarily the country where you were born or the country where you live now.

My date of birth is * dd/mm/yyyy

See also