This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Essential maintenance work is being carried out on the UK Government Web Archive. This should not affect access, but in the event that it does, we will resolve it as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.
Please email if you require any assistance.
Information. Support. Compliance.

Your account


Authorising an accountant to deal with HMRC for you

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has a strict legal duty of confidentiality which means that they need your written permission before they can deal with your professional tax adviser or accountant.

Find out what you need to do to get an accountant or tax adviser to act on your behalf.

Subjects covered in this guide

Print options - What are my print options? - Opens in a new window Email options - What are my email options? - Opens in a new window



Tax, payroll and company information


Authorising an accountant to deal with HMRC for you


Current section



Using professional tax advisers or an accountant


Using someone other than an accountant to deal with your tax affairs