Information. Support. Compliance.

Your account


Apply for a vehicle tax disc

Before you start

This page links to the online vehicle licensing service from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

You can tax your vehicle online if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and any vehicle changes are up to date on the DVLA's records.

You also need:

  • a Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification (V11 reminder) or registration certificate (V5C)
  • valid insurance covering the use of the vehicle on the day the tax disc comes into force
  • a valid test certificate, if your vehicle needs one - either an MOT, goods vehicle or public service vehicle (PSV) - which is valid when the tax disc comes into force
  • a debit or credit card - a £2.50 service charge applies when using a credit card, there is no charge for using a debit card
  • a valid DLA404 if you are entitled to a disability exemption

You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month.

If you prefer to tax your vehicle in the last few days of the month, there is an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post. It only applies if you make your application before the current tax disc or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) expires.

Other information

Your vehicle insurance, MOT and entitlement to disability exemption will be checked electronically during the application process.

Insurance checks are made against the Motor Insurance Database (MID) run by the Motor Insurers Bureau. If your vehicle tax and insurance are due at the same time, or you have recently changed your insurance company, the MID may not be up to date when you make your application. You can check the MID on the askMID website - Opens in a new window. The result only applies to the day you make your check.