Headquarters energy use
Government departments are currently competing to save carbon emissions and meet the Prime Minister's environmental and sustainability pledges. Comparative data on departmenal performance is available on data.gov.uk.
We publish figures of our real-time energy consumption on a 'live' energy data page. You can view energy consumption, cost and carbon dioxide emissions over different periods of time. We are also providing the raw energy consumption data, which is compiled once every 24 hours.
Meeting the Prime Minister’s October challenge
During October we reduced energy usage to meet the Prime Minister's challenge.
(Ministry of Justice allocated target was 11%)
Carbon saving initiatives
Making better use of lighting
- Switching off unnecessary lights in meeting rooms
- Modifications to meeting room lights to function on motion sensors
- Reducing the response time of motion sensors on office floors
- Reducing unnecessary lighting
IT and Other Initiatives
Targeting computer energy use through:
- removal of all single side printing local printers
- green default features for PCs, monitors, faxes and printers to save power
- trialling space temperature policy
- efficient use of our boilers
Changing plant times
Operating building plant when staff are in, for example, Monday to Thursday 08.30 to 17.00 and switching off over the weekends.
The Ministry of Justice is continuing to work on reducing energy use as much as possible and will be introducing more plans shortly.