Horticultural Fellowship Awards
(2011 - 2016 call)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SUBMISSION DATE FOR THE SCHEME HAS NOW PASSED. APPLICANTS WILL BE ADVISED ON THE OUTCOME OF SUBMISSIONS IN MARCH/APRIL 2011.
In response to the continuing reduction in funding available for applied horticultural research and development and knowledge transfer, the East Malling Trust (EMT), the Horticultural Development Company (HDC), and the Horticultural Trades Association (HTA) are providing funding for Horticultural Fellowship Awards (HFAs) to provide essential underpinning funding for UK-based horticultural applied scientists working in fields of study crucial to the future efficiency and competitiveness of horticultural crops grown in Britain. The fellowships are tenable for up to five years.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate that:
1. The field of study is crucial to the future efficiency and competitiveness of horticultural crops grown in Britain.
2. The field of study at risk of being lost to the UK horticultural applied research community, or severely eroded.
3. Underpinning funding is essential for the:
(i) continuation of the applicant's employment; and/or
(ii) mentoring of a successor; and/or
(iii) maintenance or development of knowledge/skills essential to the horticultural industry. This element could include efforts to unlock funding or knowledge from other sources, including European Union sources.
4. The applicant is an experienced UK-based applied researcher with a proven track record of delivering applied outputs in their field of study.
5. That the fellowship objectives are SMART.
6. That the outputs are appropriate and relevant to the industry's requirements.
Duration and timing
Fellowships are tenable for up to five years.
Fellowships will start between 01 April 2011 and 31 March 2012.
The amount of funding awarded will depend on the work proposed. The maximum annual funding that can be awarded to an individual HFA is 50,000.
Applications must be received by Friday 28 January 2011
Applicants must be available for interview on 01 or 02 March 2011
HFA guidance notes for applicants
HFA application form
HFA press release