Creating sustainable communities and a fairer world
37. Active community participation*
Informal and formal volunteering at least once a month in the last 12 months, 2001 to 2009
|Active community participation since:||
- In 2009, 26 per cent of people volunteered formally (giving unpaid help through groups, clubs, organisations, to benefit other people or the environment) at least once a month in the last 12 months, a similar proportion to 2001 (27 per cent).
- Thirty per cent of people volunteered informally (giving unpaid help as an individual to people who are not relatives); 34 per cent did so in 2001.
- Overall 43 per cent of people regularly (at least once a month) volunteered formally or informally in 2009, down from 46 per cent in 2001.
- In Scotland (not shown) 31 per cent of all adults have taken part in volunteering activities in 2007-8.
Updated: 30 July 2010