Very high cost criminal cases
On this page:
- What is a high cost criminal case?
- The future of very high cost cases
- The panel scheme
- Complex fraud cases
- For more information
This is a case where the trial is likely to last :
- for more than 40 days
- between 25 and 40 days and meets the criteria below.
Trials that last between 25 and 40 days count as very high cost if they are:
- terrorism prosecutions
- SFO prosecutions.
or any two of:
- at least 10,000 pages of prosecution evidence
- at least 10,000 pages of unused or third party material
- more than five defendants
- fraud or serious drugs cases where the value of the fraud or drugs exceeds £1m.
We are in the process of creating acceptable options for a replacement VHCC scheme to take effect when the contract expires.
The proposed scheme will be the result of close cooperation between the Bar Council, The Law Society, the Ministry of Justice and the LSC.
Cases started on or after 14 Jan 08 operate under our very high cost case panel scheme.
The LSC's Complex Crime Unit manages membership of the Specialist Fraud Panel.
Please contact the Complex Crime Unit with any questions.
Last updated: 03 June 2009