21 October 2010
Humber Family Justice Open Day Saturday 23rd October 2010 - Hull Combined Court Centre 10:00am to 3:00pm
Come along to see Family Justice at work at Hull Combined Court opened by Hull FC’s Danny Tickle
• Mock trials: hearings about contact, care and emergency protection orders - be involved in making decisions about real cases.
• Tours of the court and cells.
• Visit 25 local organisations from child protection agencies who will answer any questions and provide information
• Understand the role of the court personnel
• Children’s’ activities
His Honour Judge Dowse will also hold a question and answer session.
For more information contact Jane Keates, Julie Frederick or Hayley Rodgers on 01482 588527.
24 March 2009
Sheffield Magistrates to mark 100 years of Youth Justice - Youth Court Open Day Saturday 28 March 2009 10.30am - 4.00pm
1820 - Boy of 9 hanged for stealing 6 handkerchiefs
Throughout the 18th and 19th century children and young people were tried and punished alongside adults. They were put in prison with adult offenders, and could be transported or sentenced to death. The Children Act of 1908, implemented in 1909, created a radical change to the way young offenders were dealt with.
To demonstrate the efforts made to both reduce youth crime and to divert young people away from criminal activities before they get into trouble with the law, Sheffield Youth Court is opening its doors to the public.
The Youth Court is not normally open to the public, so this will be a rare opportunity to discover more about the way the court works in partnership with other agencies in Sheffield. In particular, this as an opportunity to show demonstrate the extensive work which is being done within the city to reduce offending by young people.
Following an official opening ceremony by Mr David Moody, Lord-Lieutenant of South Yorkshire, there will be an opportunity for visitors to:
- observe and take part in mock trials representing youth justice in 1900 and 2009;
- have a tour of the cells;
- experience electronic tagging;
- talk with representatives of the many agencies present;
- look round a Police armed response vehicle; and
- look round a prison bus.
Displays and presentations will be interactive, allowing visitors to become involved wherever possible.
For more details contact Julia Naylor on 0114 201 1148.
10 October 2008
Goole Magistrates' Court Open Day Saturday 18 October 2008 10.00am - 3.30pm
Come and help celebrate 100 years of Youth Justice at Goole Magistrates' Court, The Court House, Estcourt Terrace, Goole on Saturday 18 October.
Events include displays by:
- The emergency services
- Crown Prosecution Service
- Safe Communities East Riding
- Youth Offending Team
- Probation Service
- Witness Support Service
- Humberside Criminal Justice Board
- Tours of the cells from 12 noon - 1pm (limited places)
- Children's plate painting competition
- Look around a portable cell
- Talk to the magistrates
For further details contact Ingrid Davies on 01482 220311
10 September 2008
Doncaster Courts’ Open Day Saturday 27 September 2008 10am – 4pm
Doncaster Crown and Magistrates’ Courts, College Road, Doncaster
The three Doncaster courts are holding a joint open day for the public. The Crown Court and Magistrates’ Court buildings will be open to the public with the county court having courtroom accommodation in the Crown Court and display sections in both the Crown and Magistrates’ Courts.
Take the opportunity to visit the courts and learn something about the workings of HMCS and the three courts within the Service.
Events include -
- Observing mock courts – both in the Crown and Magistrates’ Court
- Question and answer sessions with county court judges
- Touring the holding cells in both the Crown and Magistrates’ Court with a follow on tour of a prison “cell in a box “
- Touring a prison transport van.
- Displays by police and other criminal justice agencies
- A children’s corner with face painting, fun events and competitions with prizes
Magistrates, judges, CPS, solicitors, probation officers and staff from other agencies will be available to talk to the public as well as court staff.
The day will be officially opened at 10.00.am by the High Sheriff at the Crown Court and by the Lord Lieutenant of South Yorkshire at the Magistrates’ Court. The Lord Lieutenant will also make presentations to local schoolchildren who are winners of the schools poster competition.
For more details about the day please contact Lynne Fevre on 01302 347350.
12 May 2008
Humber and South Yorkshire Area Courts Board Public Meeting Friday 23 May 2008 (PDF 0.00Kb)